Nwabueze:Ndi Igbo, Ndi be Anyi "Boycotting 2019 election would be a suicide mistake
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Constitutional Lawyer, Prof. Ben Nwabueze, yesterday warned Ndigbo that boycotting the 2019 general elections would be a suicidal mistake. He gave the warning in a reaction to threat by the exiled leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu. The foremost lawyer, a staunch supporter of Kanu, had recently brokered peace between Ohaneze Ndigbo and IPOB members at his Atani home in Ogbaru Local Council Area. The elder statesman said in a terse statement that he had repeatedly advised against such move because of its implication on Ndigbo. He said: “My stand on the boycott of election is that it is a suicidal mistake. For this reason, I am totally opposed to it, and have repeatedly advised against it.” Nwabueze had been in the vanguard of calls for the restructuring of Nigeria, and had recently warned in an interview with a national newspaper, that Igbo presidency will be a mirage without a reform. He urged Ohaneze and IPOB to work together to forge a common front for the Igbo nation. According to him, leaders could only be relevant if they carry their people along, adding that Igbo people could not afford to be disunited at this crucial period in Nigeria.
He had also canvassed unity at a recent meeting at Atani which the President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Dr. Nnia Nwodo, Emeritus Dean of Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion, Most Rev Maxwell Anikwenwa and counsel to IPOB, Mr. Aloy Ejimakor attended. “We will not be united if followers are disenchanted with the leadership,” he said. Meanwhile, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youths Council (OYC) has alleged that a presidential candidate from southwest was plotting to distabilise the southeast ahead of the 2019 elections. In a statement by its leader Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro in Abakaliki, the group declared that it has adopted the joint ticket of Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi, and warned those planning to cause trouble to stay away.
Liverpool will complete the signing of Lyon’s Nabil Fekir by today according to a report from the Liverpool Echo. The Reds have been chasing the French forward since the end of last season and though the report states that today could be the day for Fekir to be a Red, the next two days are critical for negotiations. The fee for the 24-year-old star is stated to be around £48.4m with add-ons expected to be £4.4m. Michael Edwards, our sporting director, is in Paris to complete the talks before Fekir travels with the France squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. We have also kept a medical team on standby just in case we can finalise the signing in France. Fekir would be our 3rd signing of the summer, considering that Keita and Fabinho have already been signed. Confirmation of signing from other outlets too Twitter also saw a couple of renowned Liverpool experts agree to the fact that the deal will be done soon or is done already. James Pearce replied to a tweet where he was m...
The current antics of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, the self-proclaimed leader of the illusory Biafra Republic, brings to mind an often quoted remark by Karl Marx, who pointed out in reference to the 9th November 1799 coup d’etat by Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte in France: A woman holds a Biafran flag during a service at the St. Martin Catholic of Tours Church on May 28, 2017 in the Aba-South district in Aba. The Nigerian civil war’s 50th anniversary will be commemorated on May 30. The war was triggered when the Igbo people, the main ethnic group in the southeast, declared an independent breakaway state, the Republic of Biafra. / AFP PHOTO “History often repeats itself, the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce…” As if to illustrate this thought-provoking adage afresh, post-colonial Nigerian history, which first produced the immense tragedy of Biafra with its horrible litany of death and widespread destruction, is now going on to provide the world with a new version of Biafra that is being...
Click here to Join the whatsapp group for all CHELSEA NEWS Chelsea travel to Anfield on Wednesday night to face Liverpool in a Carabao Cup third-round clash, and Maurizio Sarri is expected to make six changes to his starting lineup. The Blues lost their 100% record in the Premier League at the weekend when they were held to a goalless draw at West Ham, and they will no doubt look to bounce back with a win in the cup against high-flying Liverpool. Sarri has never been a huge fan of massive rotation for cup competitions during his career, and that is not expected to change for this one with the Italian set to field a strong team at Anfield. In goal, Kepa Arrizabalaga is expected to retain his place. In defence, Davide Zappacosta is likely to come in for Cesar Azpilicueta, with Andreas Christensen and Gary Cahill expected to replace David Luiz and Antonio Rudiger, with Marcos Alonso keeping his spot. A midfield three of N’Golo Kante, Ross Barkley and Mateo Kovacic is expected to l...
Comments
Post a Comment